Sunday, August 17, 2008

Blessings

Hi Everyone! It's been a cold rainy week here in Colorado, but what a blessing! It had been so dry and our fields were all burning up and it looked like the Summer was going to be another bad one, but out of nowhere, we've gotten almost 6 inches of rain just this month. I took the dogs for a walk tonight and there is actually water running in the stream bed at the bottom of our property, something I have never seen in the 14 years we've lived here. A couple of warm days and it will look like Spring!

Yesterday morning, while Bruce was feeding horses (in the pouring rain) something caught his eye and upon further inspection we determined that it was a hawk or falcon that was obviously having problems. We carefully caught it and put it in a cage and took it inside, it was really wet, but didn't appear to be hurt. I put it in front of the heater to dry it off. After scouting Birds of Prey online and calling the Rocky Mountain Wild Bird Rescue we were told that is was a Kestrel Falcon. We met them in Parker to give them the bird, they checked him out and didn't think he was injured, probably just got lost in all the rain. So he will be released back into nature, but what a cool thing! Speaking of birds, we have had a TON of hummingbirds this Summer and they must be starting to migrate because I can't keep my feeders full. It is so fun to watch them, they are aggressive little buggers! And they fly from sun up to sun down rain or shine.

It is the unexpected gifts you find along the way that make life rich. The birds and I forgot to tell you about the 2 baby kittens I found in the barn, just born and without a mother. I hunted (as I always do) to find a mom or surrogate, which in this case I found. She had just had kittens way back behind the hay. I had to move a few bales and rig up a kitten lift to get them back far enough and down low enough that I could drop them in without hurting them. It's been 3 days and it looks like everyone has settled in nicely. I can kind of see them with a flash light but today I could hear them and that was a gift to my ears.

Well, the world is still a little sad for me, but I am definitely finding reasons to be grateful and happy. I am sure that good things will continue to come my way and all I need to do is be prepared to see and receive them. There are miracles and blessings everywhere....

2 comments:

Nikki said...

We just have to remember to stop and look! There are blessing everywhere! Love your new layout too!

Brandon, Misty, Kyla and Casey said...

It was devistating to hear about Sara, and I'm so glad that you are able to start feeling a little better now. God is good and His blessings are all around us. Love and miss you lots!