Wednesday, August 26, 2015

What's Faith Got to do with it?

Apparently nothing at all.

I've been on my journey to build my spiritual relationship with God for sometime now.  It makes me and those around me nervous sometimes.  I believe that there is good in everyone and that there is probably truth in most religions.

I also believe that no matter who you are or what you believe, there is only one God and one Jesus Christ and I don't believe that any single religion has a corner on that market.  I have been on the receiving end of someone who believed that by taking the sacrament in a church that I had not been baptized into, disrespected her faith.  But let me ask this question, if I have been baptized and have committed my life to following Christ, does it really matter?  Think about that next time you catch yourself thinking that because someone isn't the same religion as you, that somehow they are not worthy to follow Christ....

I was actually told that I could not participate, it was embarassing and very hurtful.  Jesus said, Come Follow Me, he spent his time with imperfect and probably unworthy people, those are the ones that needed him most.  Why then do we think that only those that "belong" and are active and are believing this religion or that are the only ones worthy to follow.  This has been a big question for me and something I spend a lot of my time pondering.  I know that rules are rules, but I also know that a lot of rules in religion come from the human manmade perspective, anything that is not inclusive does not come from God.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but hoped this would spark a conversation, an understanding, some mercy and a little bit of grace.


No comments: