Thursday, August 27, 2009

Vinegar (TAFFY) Candy Gr. Dev Style

One more great recipe from my childhood. We used to beg for this because it was so much fun to "pull" the taffy. Seems as I've taken a couple walks down memory lane, we were always begging for something, sounds like the kids nowadays! Anyway, here it is. Let me know if you try this and how it comes out. Have FUN!

Vinegar Candy(Taffy)

2 C Sugar
1/2 C Vinegar
1/2 C Water
1 Tbs Butter
Pinch Baking Soda

Combine sugar, vinegar, water in a pan and cook to light crack stage (not sure what that is on a thermometer, but if you drop a small amount into a cup of cold water, it should crack). Add butter and soda and stir. Remove from heat and pour onto a butter pan or platter and let it cool until it is cool enough to handle. Pull with buttered fingers until stiff. Then stretch it out and cut into pieces. We used to sprinkle it with powdered sugar.

You can add flavorings/coloring as well at the same time you add the butter and soda.

7 comments:

2pattyesque said...

Maybe at your Hootenanny (spelling?), we should all bring a favorite recipe to share? I think I may remember the taffy from days of yore. I've almost convinced myself I remember the cake, too. :-)

Ann said...

that's cool, do you have any family recipes you want to pass along? I'm thinking about putting together another collection.

Heather said...

I will have to try both of the recipes that you posted! I am excited. Also if you really put together a collection of recipes I want a copy!

Brandon, Misty, Kyla and Casey said...

I love that you are posting these old family recipes. I don't think I've ever had any of them. I'm going to copy all of them down and try them!

Karen M. said...

Sounds like you have created another 'project' for yourself, I guess I will have to fly over and help you with it, hint hint! Anyway, I used to love the taffy pulls, it was so much fun. I don't remember ever eating it but I must have, but I did like pulling it. Hey where are you getting grandmas recipes from anyway?!

Trish the Dish said...

I make this taffy with Eisha & Brinley every time they stay with me. They practically BEG me to make it!

Claire said...

Yum-o!!
I will have to copy this one too!!

Thanks!!