Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Super Man? I sure hope so...


Yea, by now you've heard the speech over and over again. You've seen the historic images, felt the sting and the pride of being an American. As I watched the election returns last night, then the concession speech and then the victory speech, it struck me how lucky I am to be an American. No where else on earth do you see the gracious, peaceful exchange of power. I was impressed that after a hard fought campaign, that both men were gracious and supportive of each other and of our country. It made me stop and check my own attitude at that very moment and something inside me just snapped to attention. The hard part really starts today, this moment, this instant. The campaign, although it seemed rigorous and draining, was only a small warm up to what lies ahead. We can choose to waste time feeling sorry, upset or angry at the outcome, but it doesn't change the fact that the country is in a really bad place and it has to get moving, regardless of who ended up in the white house. I don't envy the work that needs to get done, it would be a job that most people would run away from.

For me personally, I know I will find a way to thrive regardless of the situation and regardless of the political landscape. The blessing that comes from adversity is strength of character. The victory is sweeter when you have to work harder. It's all about what you choose to do with the things you can control. I do like the idea of people getting outside of themselves to take care of others, whether it is families, friends, community or strangers.

So I guess my advice to myself and others today is "BUCK UP" just get in there and get it done.

3 comments:

Trish the Dish said...

Wow - very motivational :)

Nikki said...

AWESOME! Amen to all of it.

Karen M. said...

You are so right, we all had our moment of 'Oh, NO!" then it was what it was and we need to get behind this new administration and get this country back on track,Obama has a daunting task ahead, he inherited an huge mess and it will take all of our prayers to give him the strength and wisdom to fix the mess. Thanks for putting it in words.