Saturday, March 13, 2010

Great Balls of Fire!




What a FUN day! I got up early, got my walk in, had PANCAKES, then headed out to the airport. I ran into my old flying buddies out there who were heading down to Pueblo for lunch. They invited me to fly along, but they were ready to go and I was just getting there, so I decided to not go this time and just fly around the city. I taxi'd down to the self serve pumps for some jet fuel, topped off the tanks and then waited in line with everyone else for my take off sequence. Finally....373WD cleared for take off 1-7-left. A nice take off into the plane dotted sky and the Springtime bumps....

After I landed, I was getting ready to push my plane back into the hangar when a voice behind me about scared the doo out of me. It was my hangar neighbor, Joe. I hadn't seen him for awhile either so after he helped my push my plane in, he asked if I wanted to go flying with him...in his WW2 Sea Fury!!! I didn't hesitate, I said yes so fast it made him laugh....Strapped in, parachutes on, headsets working, briefing on what to do in an emergency...check!

And we are off! It was SO AWESOME! We were looking for a friend's grass landing strip south of Elbert. When he would turn we'd be at a 90 degree angle to the ground...YIKES! We heard his friend on the radio and he guided us to the landing strip where we did some low flyovers...I'm talking 10-15 feet off the ground. At the end of one of low passes, we went into a roll! I did the YEE HAW and felt pure exhilaration! He asked if I wanted to do some more rolls, ABSOLUTELY! So we got clearance in the air space and flew some loops, rolls and point rolls. LOVED IT!

When we landed (which was much too soon for me) he invited me to tag along back to the friends place with a few other pilots, including his son, JP. I went and it was a really fun afternoon. I had to leave about the time the chicken and Brats were coming off the grill, I hadn't planned this adventure and needed to get home to cook dinner there. What a fun day, I am still smiling....Life IS Good!

5 comments:

Carole said...

Life is Good!!! so glad you had so much fun...I love you so much, you have such a keen sense of adventure and I am happy that you get to experience days of joy.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a total blast!!! Doing rolls in a WW2 fighter??? I'm really jealous!

NatNeedham said...

So freakin' awesome!!

Karen M. said...

Amazing, I guess you don't get motion sickness. How did you manage the rolls. That sounds crazy fun! I love how you get the most out of life and make it the best you can. You are my hero once again. So glad you had the time of your life and you surround youself with fantastically fun people. What a life! See you soon

Trish the Dish said...

AWESOME!!!