Friday, March 12, 2010

Tribute


I've put off writing this entry for a couple of weeks, partly because it is so personal to me and partly because it makes things that much more real. February 25th marked the 1 year anniversary of Susan's passing. Today while I was out for my morning walk, I knew it was time to do this. I loved Susan as my friend for a lot of reasons, amongst them:

She kept me honest
She was completely different in many ways from me, but we still had deep common ground
She was as stubborn as she was compassionate
We shared a "secret box"
She would always be there for me, even during the times I wasn't there for her
We shared the longing for...and the pain of not having...children of our own.
We also shared incredible relationships with our nieces
She understood why I was always doing something...trying to fill a hole that can never be filled
She let me be me and I her, we respected the differences and the quirks and the boundaries


Most people thought we were an odd friendship, but most didn't understand the bond that we had and still have.

I still see her rolling her eyes at me and I miss her...

3 comments:

Trish the Dish said...

Susan really was an awesome lady. I miss her too. Especially when she would call me "Blondie". I'm glad the she had you all those years and you her.

Karen M. said...

What a way to start the day! I am sorry for your loss, but happier for you having known someone that you feel happy and comfortable with. Memories are we really have anyway and you have great ones! Look up I am sure she is smiling down on you.

GLWallace said...

They never leave us because we always hold a piece of them in our hearts. Life is only about the memories that we create with each other and when someone has to leave us to go home, it is the memories that sustain us as well.
My heart is with you today Sister.