Sunday, October 2, 2011

Leave it to Beaver

When I first thought about flying float planes, I found this plane and its owner on the web.  Until last week, we had talked and emailed, I was surprised to run into John and the Beaver at the end of my flying day.  This is a gorgeous plane with a long history.  It is a 1957 DeHavilland Beaver, they don't make them any more so you are very lucky if you get to own one.  They sound even better than they look.  When John finished flying for the day it was just getting dusk, he asked me if I wanted to go up for a quick flight, you don't have to ask me twice, I was in the right seat so fast his head was spinning.  After we took off, he handed the plane over to me and I flew for a bit, what a great experience and the perfect end to an already incredible day.
Getting ready to put her in the water.
Taxiing out to the channel
Beautiful in the sun streaks
In flight against the setting sun
On final approach
We have a successful touchdown
A very proud and excited papa!  Watching John watch his plane and seeing the sheer joy he had at hearing the engine, seeing it come in for a landing or any minute part of his plane's existance was contageous.  He was giddy with excitement and it made us all giggle and remember why we like flying and being around flying so much.
My turn at the controls, check out the grin...
Bringing her in for the night
John said that flying the Beaver was almost better than sex...he is almost right.  Me and the guys, the smiles say it all.



1 comment:

Karen Mendenhall said...

All I can even say to that is WHOOT! Wish I could have been there what great friends you make along your journey!