Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Steel City

Well, as my journeys continue, I was in Pittsburgh this past week and delightfully surprised.  I guess I though it would be all ugly factories and stuff but at least the parts I saw, were nothing like I had pictured in my mind.  I was there for a work conference so I didn't get to poke around as much as I would have liked, but did get some great shots of places around the hotel where I stayed at Station Square.
This is an old part of a steam engine, kind of cool with the city skyline in the background.  Right behind the engine was the train tracks and I gotta say, I love the sound of trains.
This is the end of the bridge leading across the river.  I loved the columns and the ivy growing on the front, very story book looking.
Well, it's not the Belagio fountains but it was pretty cool and instead of Sinatra it was set to classic rock, hello Guns and Roses!  I sat and watched for a long time, the night time temperature was perfect and just behind me is the Hard Rock Cafe, perfect for a little hot chocolate and people watching.
The bridge at night was pretty spectacular!
I hoofed it across the bridge to get a picture looking back at Station Square.  If you look to the left of the picture you will see 2 rows of blue lights going vertical.  That is the famous Incline.  It is a rail car that basically goes straight up the mountain behind the lights and then you see the row of lights (homes and businesses) along the top of the hill.  Of course we had to ride the Incline, it would have been unPittsburgian not too.
The city from the top of the Incline

These pictures are inside the old train station, it was incredible!  The stained glass was so amazing, the pictures just don't do it justice.
  3 Rivers Stadium where the Pittsburgh Steelers play (ok it's now called PNC Park, whatever!)

I loved the lights reflecting off the water, we were on a big boat motoring up the river.  This was the best part of the conference, by far!

3 comments:

2pattyesque said...

Looks beautiful!

Elaine said...

Wow Ann, these photos are oh so amazing, and oh so beautiful! Love seeing different parts of the world. Thank so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

I'm jealous! This is one place I have on my bucket list of places to see.