Monday, November 23, 2009

Could've been really bad



Yesterday morning we discovered that we had a water leak at our Hurricane Hacienda. A distress call to my brother Barry:

"Barry I have water seeping out of the ground at the sprinkler box, what do I do?"
"Open the gray box and turn the blue handle to shut the water off"
"I turned the handle but the water is still bubbling up, what else should I do?"
"Go out to the box by the road, find the lever with the 2 holes and turn the knob until the 2 holes line up"
"ok that stopped the water, now what?"
"We're just leaving SLC, I'll be there about 5:00"

Did I mention it was Sunday???? Barry drove straight out to our house and started digging in the sopping wet red clay dirt. He got down deep enough to expose the pipes, then had me turn the water main back on.

"TURN IT BACK OFF!!!"

Water was not coming from the sprinkler lines, but deeper in the hole. After a lot more digging and a lot more mud, he determined that the leak is in the main water line to the house. By now it is past dark, he is muddy head to toe and it is cold.

"Hello Dan...." "I'll be there first thing in the morning, just leave the water off and don't use the toilets."

Dan showed up this morning and dug a lot more mud out of the hole. The water line in directly under the sewer line. He has to cut the sewer line to get to the water line. What a stinky, wet, muddy cold, yucky job! After a quick trip back to his shop for parts and a swing by the Chevron for a diet Coke, we are back at the mud hole. My brother is amazing! He is on his belly with his head in the hole fixing the pipes.

"Ok, turn the water back on" "SHUT IT OFF! SHUT IT OFF!" The water is coming now from the sprinkler line, no problem, just cap the line.....Sweet Success!

After a couple of cuss words, the water goes back on, the sewer line is reconnected and we can flush our toilets.

"Dan you are so awesome, what do we owe you?" "Nothing, just glad I was here to help, Barry did all the hard work anyway, he dug the hole out for me"

I Love my brothers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds grueling. At least you appreciate how fortunate you are to have brothers that are there for you no matter what. Thats awesome.

Nikki said...

You do have pretty great brothers.

Karen M. said...

Mud, water, cold Hurricane wind,,,not a good thing in any condition! They really must love you tons. I am glad the toilets are working before Thanksgiving dinner, ha ha!

Carole said...

I love them toooo... all three of them, I raised awesome sons and I know they would be there ofr any one of us if they were called and ask. I love my four daughters toooo very much... glad it is fixed Ann, remember to have them reattach the sprinkler line befor they fill up the hole or someone will be digging up your yard in the spring... he he he..