Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Crossroads


Driving down the road the other day the sky was really blue and all the airplane contrails caught my eye. I had to stop and take a picture because it was a clear illustration of 2 things. The first is very simple, applies to airplanes and goes like this. People always ask me how I know where I'm going when I'm flying. There aren't any roads or street signs in the air to follow, but there is a gridlike system made up of "fixes" or "way-points" that a planes follows by GPS or radar. Where you see the plane trails in the sky intercect, that is what is happening.

The second, is a bit more personal. We all have crossroads in our lives where we have to decide which direction to go. Some people take the familiar road, drive the same route everyday and never venture down an unknown path. We always wonder why things never change when we keep doing everything the same way. It's the same as following the same route home every night, without fail it gets you to the same place.

My quest for this year is to take more unknown roads in my life, venture out a little farther, dare a little more. So far it has been very rewarding. On New Years we were invited to celebrate with a group of folks most of whom we had never met. They all live on a private airpark here in Colorado like Sky Ranch in Hurricane. At the last minute, I was thinking about how to get us out of going, but I eventually gave in and we ended up going...I'm glad we went. The people were awesome, the night was really fun and what came of that for me is that I got to know more people who not only share a love of flying with me, but many other traits and hobbies as well. The place I was going when I took the picture was to meet the UFO group. Not what you're thinking.... It is a group of the gals from the party who get together once in awhile to work on Un-Finished Objects, like knitting or needle point, or crafts or whatever you have you want to bring. The gal that hosted has a beautiful home, we sat in her sun room, overlooking the runway, watching the planes and gliders take off and land. She is also a jewelry maker, seed beads to be exact and she had some incredible pieces she had made. Her collection of beads looks a lot like mine, out of control! We'll be spending some time together learning from each other! Here is the piece I finished at the UFO gathering.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THATS BEAUTIFUL.

GLWallace said...

I think it is time we all step out of our boxes and keep our markers but find the road and the people less visited or traveled.....you never know what you might find.
BTW the piece is beautiful as usual.

Karen M. said...

That was pretty thought provoking, I do wonder sometimes why I am in the same old rut, well you answered that for me, I think I will work at stepping out of the box, unless it means talking to people ha ha!