Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Simple choices


Decisions, decisions.... I go by the theory or fact that if you are indecisive or procrastinate making decisions, the decision eventually makes itself, leaving you no choice or a less desirable choice. I also subscribe to the belief that if you make a choice and feel confused or conflicted, it is probably the wrong choice. The right choice should make you feel calm and at peace. That works pretty good most of the time. But does it always? I have a couple of fairly big decisions that need to be made where it feels like the easiest decision or most peaceful is just to go about life as it is.

Launching into a change feels pretty stressful to me, but necessary. I think if I sold most everything that I have that I don't need, I could live pretty comfortably for a long time, but then some of the things that seem to make me happy I wouldn't have so what would be the point? I subconsciously worry a lot about taking care of myself, mostly I think because there most likely will come a time when I am alone in this world and will have to do that. So I think about having enough in the end. The other decision (which largely is probably making itself right now) is going back to work, I had hoped that my career/corporate days were over, but I have one little flaw that dad would refer to as having somewhat of a champange appetite that I can't support on a root beer budget. So, until I do get a few things sold, I am a working gal again - besides, I need a new washer and dryer and a few other things and my plan to work at Home Depot went up in flames when the salary wouldn't cover gas money for me.

I did re-learn something this week though and that is that there are 4 quadrants that correlate to energy levels and emotions and they are as follows:

High Positive - which is energy without tension (this is the place I would like to be....
Low Positive - which is having neither energy or tension
High Negative - Tension with energy
Low Negative - Tension without energy (total stress!)


I think I bounce a lot between Low Positive, High Positive and a little bit of High Negative, which is not where I want to be or should be. So my goal is to move it more to the High Positive quadrant. The quote for this week is "it's not the situation, it is your response to it" and a big reminder to be in control of my emotional state...looking at the situation from a different angel to find the positive spin. All this stuff comes from a book called Mentally Tough by James E. Loehr. He also has a book called The Power of Full Engagement that is excellent.


The other thing that weighs heavy on me but is a novel in itself is the topic of where to live and how to make it happen. That is a constant conflict inside me and not one that I can resolve easily. I will save it for another post, but just in case anyone thinks I don't think about it, all the time, I do, I do, I do.....

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I can totally relate to your post, especially since I have been a stay-at-home mom and my hubby was recently diagnosed with cancer. I also think that turning 50 this last year was a big wake-up call for me, more of my life is probably behind me now than in front of me. "Quality life" now has to be seriously planned--from here on out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I wish you well in the decisions that you are making, and hope you feel at peace with what you choose.

Karen M. said...

I so love your blog. It gives me something to think upon all day. I too want to achieve High Positive. I printed the page and will post it at work so I can see it through the day to make sure my feet are pointed in the same direction. Sometimes I think that my feet are going in two directions at once making it hard to decide which direction I am truly going in. I saw a movie called The Wishing Well, maybe I told you. The well had magical powers that some swore really came true, but there was two secrets to getting your wish to come true at the well, 1) You had to believe it would come true (The Secret), then 2) You had to wish for the right wish...this is where you are right now in your life. You have to wish for the right wish, you will figure it out. I have every confidence in the world in you that you will find where you need to be and how you are going to get there. Just know that through your journey comes your greatest accomplishment and joy. I am riding on your wings, now doesn't that give you some pressure, ha Love Ya