Saturday, January 16, 2010

****W*A*R*N*I*N*G****

I need to bounce some stuff out here, the next couple of blogs are really just for me. I need to work through a couple of things and the best way I know how is to write it down. No need to worry, by the time anyone reads this, it will already be worked out.

FEAR-
STRESS-
DECISIONS-
MEDITATION-

What is it that cause fear-fight-flight reactions...what is the the quickest way to work through the fear and get to the other side.

What about stress, how does it sneak up on you without you realizing it is there? How do you get away from the daily stressors, like the economic situation of the world, emotions, choices that need answers, family, health, etc.

I found this quote and I really like it...True courage is like flying a kite; a contrary wind raises it higher. So true for where I am right now.

One thing that has been bothering me, is that I have been afraid to fly in the mountains. Flying over them is ok, but still makes my butt pucker. Last Friday I went with Rich, my flight instructor (CFI) to start trying to conquer my demons. I took off, flew west towards the foothills, started a nice climb up to 9,500 feet. Rich said to just follow the highway and relax. I'm doing good, we get up into the pines, skimming over the small towns, looking at the huge cabins (houses), then he says, "hang a right and fly north up the canyon." No problem, I hang a right and within seconds I'm flying up a narrow canyon, mountains and trees on both sides, my training tells me to fly one side of the canyon in case I need an escape, I then have plenty of room to turn and head back out. So I need to figure out what the winds are doing, no problem with my super-duper G1000, the winds are blowing 45 degrees off my right nose. "What does that mean," Rich asks me? It means that the updraft are going to be on the opposite side of the canyon. Wind flows around mountains like water flows around rocks in a stream. To figure out what the wind is going to do you have to look at it like water. All of a sudden the winds are shifting around as 1 canyon converges with 3 more and we are getting rocked! This is what I dread and what I fear the most. I know I will not fall out of the sky but I hate it! I hold on for what seems like an eternity, but it's getting worse, not better. I ask Rich for help and he takes the controls so I can catch my breath. It doesn't let up so he starts a climb up to 11,500 looking for smoother air, which after a few minutes we find.

But...I already feel defeated. I let it get to me and I gave in and I hate that feeling worse than the bumps. We make a big loop over a big open area called South Park and then start heading back to the airport. I finally get my nerve back and take the controls, flying us over the Hayman burn area over the last hump of mountains, down the canyon and into the Denver area. I am feeling better, but disappointed. Coming in I make a pretty good landing, still need a little work to keep the nose off the ground a little longer, but after being rattled, I'm pretty happy to find some success.

Back at the hangar, we go over the flight, I walk through it over and over. I map it, I chair fly it and I beat the heck out of myself for being a wimpy woosy. I make the commitment to Rich to fly back into the foothills every week and to fly the next few weeks with him back into the mountains, until I conquer the fear and master the art of mountain flying. I am spent....but for the past couple of days I have thought of the flight over and over again. I just wonder if there are some fears that you can't get over. I doubt it, just takes time, courage, experience and practice.

Next blog, getting over the fear of feeling like I don't have enough. You'd think I lived through the freaking depression or something, the way I worry about things.

4 comments:

Karen M. said...

Fear is a powerful adversary..it can freeze us without notice, it can cripple us without notice, it can cause us to miss out on some of the best things in life...yet it is real. Overcoming the hurdle is the best part, when we do we feel liberated and free. I am so proud of you and all that you accomplish, you are my hero and my inspiration, thanks for always...and I do mean always there for me in thick and think, in good and bad, Love ya

Claire said...

I don't believe that all Fear is Bad.
I believe that fear was instilled in us as a caution sign.
Not that we have to Run from it, but it tells us to go slowly ..not to rush into anything..
You are not in control of the wind.
The winds can change, for the better or worse..? To have a bit of fear could be the difference of making it out or not?
Maybe you need to figure out if you really need to be perfect in all you do?
Most people are not..
That is why most Doctors like to specialize.. They can't know or do it all, and do it well..
If flying through canyon's is really that important to you..
Keep it up and you will Win!!
I believe that you can do what ever you put your mind to!!
Just remember..Fear in it's self is not all bad!

Carole said...

Ann, I felt the butt pinch even as I read your story of flying in the canyons. Sometimes we have fears to teach us, I think that conquering fear is a good thing most of the time. Fear is really just False Evidence Appearing Real. Do. really think about What makes you uneasy flying through a canyon,Where would you rather fly,How will conquering this fear help you in the future,When will you be flying through tight canyons? After you answer all of these questions and do not ask any why questions, (there are no answers for WHY) Then decide if it is necessary to conquer this fear or if you just need to respect it and not fly in tight canyons. I love you, and you are so much like your Mother in these kinds of situations. (by the way I still have not conquered my fear of climbing to really high places) I can do it, I just would rather not.

GLWallace said...

I have spent most of my life living in fear. I can only tell you that you have to keep facing the fear and find a place of serenity as you work through it. An older man told me about a week ago to idenitfy the 5 things I fear most in life and then go down to the rive and gently let my hand skim the bottom and be lead to 5 rocks. Take the rocks with me and put a fear to each one. When I feel that fear to take the rock out, imagine how long it had sat on the bottom of the river and how many changes it had gone through. Then imagine the water washing it clean and making it stronger. It was a simple analogy but made a lot of sense. I had really been stressing about the coming changes in my life and how rough it was going to be. I went to the river but it was frozen so instead I used rocks someone special had given to me at christmas to get me through it. I slept with them under my pillow and carried them in my pocket for comfort. The trip down was cool air and dry roads....something you just don't find this time of year. It gave me the ability to make the trip and know that I would do it safely. I have been told that fear is what keeps us alive...what helps us remember to live and is kind of like that still small voice at times. I know when you are ready...mentally, physically, and emotionally you will conquere this fear or just learn to respect your limits. You are a smart woman and a great pilot. Grandpa Dev had a fear of flying canyons with rivers in them...one day I will tell you more about that but he learned to do it but always aware of the dangers and his limits...I know you will to. This turned into a book...sorry about that....but I wanted you to know that you helped me with some of my fears... Love you sis