Monday, December 28, 2009

The "Dangler" Week

This is it, that lull between Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Still hanging on to the old year, not ready to advance to a new year, lots of crazy nothing going on and if you're like me, the ghosts are visiting. Mostly the ghosts of years and experiences past. I do a lot of reflecting this time of year, mainly because I'm too lazy to do anything else, plus it's cold outside and everything that needs to be done, like cleaning house, etc. I don't want to do. I also think it dangles in part because there is always such a huge build up to Christmas and all that is supposed to happen or not happen then. We run around trying to create peace on earth through buying or making the right gift that will change the course of life for people or something like that. I'm really not as cynical as this might all sound, it's just that when you sit back and think about it, it is a little crazy.

So where is this little snippet of a blog entry going? I'll let you be the judge. I'm enjoying the quiet day being blinded by the sun reflecting off the snow, watching turkeys head up the tree to roost for the night even though it's only 3:00 in the afternoon, and being thankful that at the end of it all, life is still good and the world is peaceful on the ranch.

I hope the week dangles for a little longer and makes time stand still in that in-between time of not done yet and happy new year.

4 comments:

GLWallace said...

I love your way of describing it. It is the same here. People rushing to or from and wanting to take a little respite....I can't seem to get things finished even though I know that I need to so I will quietly watch the sun go down on the Bridger mtns...enjoy the sunset and wait for the peaceful lull of the train in the night and empty city streets.

Nikki said...

Ann that was very well written and well said. I am not a very patient "in between" kinda person. I am more of a "let's just get on with it already" kinda person. I like to be busy and get stuff done. But I know what you mean. Sunday was my drag day. I had finished everything I needed to on Saturday. It was nice to just sit and watch movies and hang out with the kids and enjoy the thoughts from the previous couple of days.

Trish the Dish said...

Ya, this in between week sucks...

Carole said...

I love this particular week of the year, it is a time of reflection about where I have been and where I want to go in the new year. I particulary like the picture of Hannah, it reminds me of how I like to spend a quiet day, and do it in reflection. I love you Ann, thanks for putting feelings so eloquently. You are my sunshine,