Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tribute to Mr. PeaTalky


Let me start with the blessing of this post first. The tail feathers, all together is a small area, like they had been deposited intentionally as a final gift to me....

The last time I saw him, he was up in the rafters in the barn, that night the temperatures dropped below 0 into the -20s. It snowed or tried to as it was so cold mostly all that fell were crystals. I didn't see him again and after a couple of days I went looking for him. I had hoped that he was holed up in a warm shelter somewhere, but after looking in his usual places and not finding him, I widened my search. He had lived with us on the ranch for probably 16 years, we had gotten him when he was probably somewhere between 3-5 years old. I knew his habits, his wanderings and his hiding places, but he wasn't in any of them. I knew he was a smart old bird, out maneuvering coyotes, dogs and even the occasional black bear, but like all of us, old age and a cold snap got him.

I found the feathers after the snow had melted, right outside of the horse shelter where he had been spending a lot of time sunning himself. They were all there, his beautiful tail that was only about 8 inches, but already magnificent. I figure he left them for me as he flew on to heaven and that place where birds go to be safe and warm. Many of you got to know him, talk to him and marvel at him during your visits to the ranch and I know you will be sad that he is no longer here.

I already miss him and come Spring will miss his calling and antics, but I am happy for him that he will now be able to find a mate. We were never able to keep females because of the predators, but one year he did mate with a female that laid her eggs outside of our bedroom window in the tall grass. It amazed me that he stayed by her side for almost 45 days, never leaving and tending the eggs when she went for food and water. Sadly the eggs never hatched, but the part that makes my heart rejoice now is that he is probably already hanging with the ladies in heaven.

I am so grateful for the opportunity we had to have this incredible creature as part of our farm family. I will never forget the hours he spent looking at himself in the reflection of the windows or how he fanned and tried to woo the hens and turkeys. What a character! RIP Mr. PeaTalky!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, I loved your Peacock. He was so lovely! I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are seeing the positive in it! Love ya!

Trish the Dish said...

Oh no! I loved the peacock! I remember sitting and watching him all the time. I loved calling out to him too. Dang, I'm sorry Ann.

Jean said...

Ann, I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a magnificant creature. He's up their struting for the ladies.

Anonymous said...

Although I never met him, I feel close to him through your words...sorry for your loss. Godspeed Mr. Peatalky

Karen M. said...

A sad year for losses at the ranch. I shall miss Mr. Peatalky, he was always around to brighten the day and to lead the turkeys to safe shelter. Maybe now he can realize his full potential as a peacock and not think of himself as a turkey! Safe flight Mr. Peatalky you will be missed!!!