Friday, February 13, 2009

Random Valentine Thoughts

For those of you deeply and helplessly in love, you may want to skip this post. I've been thinking about the whole Valentines scam, yes the constant pressure to run out and buy something that screams, I'm hot for you, I'll die for you, or hope this is good enough for me to slide through on you. It's crazy when you think about it. Some of the ads on TV today were almost disgusting, the Vermont Teddie Bear company basically appealing to guys that if they sent a Teddie bear to their loved one, they would be reciprocated with gratuitous sex. I don't know about you, but love to me is more than that.

I am a romantic, but also a realist. After 15-20-30 years of marriage, it gets really tough thinking of clever ideas, especially when the end game is basically the same, and you gals know what I mean. So I'd love to take a poll on the comments page of the clever ideas you came up with this year to impress your men.

For what it's worth, Happy Valentines Day, to those of you with significant others and Happy friends Day to those of you without. I remember the pressure of working in an office and watching as one by one the ladies would get flowers and then there would be a couple of us who didn't. Thank goodness it comes on a Saturday this year and yes, my husband brought me flowers and told me he loved me....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...nothing clever here on my part...a heated kneeding back massager for Paul because he needs one. He bought me Fall Out Boy tickets because he knows they are my favorite band...he can't go so I am taking Tanner...who is stoked about it. The flower thing is over rated..I used to send them to myself at work when I was single, so I didn't feel like crap at the end of the day.

Nikki said...

You know what we did?? Nothing! I agree with you.. it's not my favorite holiday. I told Kev we weren't doing anything for each other either. I did get some candy from a boy in our ward that was selling them. I bought myself a bag of peanut M&M's. But that was it. No flowers, no jewelry, and I am OK with that!!

Karen M. said...

Ok, I guess I am a romantic at heart. I agree it is overrated to have to have a holiday to celebrate your love for someone...that said my man did surprise me and book a room in Vegas for Friday the 13th, took me to dinner & movie. Then on Valentine's we drove to Spring Mountain to play in the snow and do some geocaching. It was a great day! Love is still alive after 35 years...but I don't need a holiday to celebrate it, it happens everyday as I get a paper plate platitude from my man. I'll tell you about that on my blog! Love Ya!