Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sad Day...

Little did I know I would get to practice my emotional control so soon after writing about it. This morning when I went out to feed, I found one of our mares laying still in her paddock. I knew something was wrong, and I knew quickly that she had moved on to greener pastures. We affectionately called her Houdini, she could get through any fence any time she pleased. She was born with the gift and routinely climbed through the fence as a baby to run and graze with the other horses, leaving her mom bewildered until she climbed back through the fence to nurse.

She earned the barn name of Fancy Pants, just because that is what she was. She wasn't very tall but built like a tank and she always pranced. Anyway, as sad as I am that she is gone, I am happy that she no longer needs to be contained to the barn. I am sure she is running free, kicking and bucking the way she would when we would turn her out for exercise. Did any of you see the Electric Horseman? Remember the scene at the end where Robert Redford turns the horse (Rising Star) loose in Silver Reef? That's how I picture Miss Fancy Pants at this moment. I will miss her.

Click or copy this link for a video clip from the Electric Horseman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPYTjJj1W64

5 comments:

NatNeedham said...

So sorry! Not many paople know how hard it is to lose a horse, it's equal to losing a member of the family. Hope you're ok.

Anonymous said...

Ann, I am sorry for your loss. Your horse sounded awesome...and unique...I like that.

Nikki said...

Wow, what a day for you. I am sorry that that happened to you. Not a good morning gift. Hope you are doing ok.

Brandon, Misty, Kyla and Casey said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Miss Fancy Pants. I think we all know how much you love your horses, and I'm sure it was a difficult day for you. Hugs and kisses!

2pattyesque said...

Sorry about your horse passing away and the sudden passing, too. What a surprise for you! I hope you're hanging in there.

Earlier, as I read about all of your animals, I remembered your dad and the animals he always kept, like that goat that ate our Christmas chains we made and put up in the playhouse!