Saturday, September 13, 2008

Life on the farm...


About a month ago I heard a tiny meowing in the barn, it was a kitten that had been born and abandoned by it's mom, about a half hour later I found a second kitten... I launched into the mission of finding some way to keep the 2 kittens alive long enough to find another moma kitty that would adopt them. I wrapped them in my shirt, took them to the house, gave them milk through an eye dropper and then armed with my flashlight, searched every nook and crannie (what is a crannie anyways?) until I found where Dirty Nose aka Callie had just had her kittens. They were back behind the hay so it was going to be an operation to get the abandoned kittens back there and then there were no guarantees she would take care of them. I moved some hay bales and then rigged a parachute kind of thing with a towel. I put the kittens inside and lowered them as far and as close as I could, about 18 inches away from Callie. Then the rest was up to the kittens and their instinct to survive. Today, Callie (she only responds to Dirty) relocated 5 kittens to the tack room, including the 2 white kittens. It made me really happy to see them and they are all pretty tame so I took pictures and fed them milk, this time from a bowl.

2 comments:

Brandon, Misty, Kyla and Casey said...

What a great story! They are so cute.

The Beardalls said...

haha goodness ann! I wish I ran into things like that on a daily basis really! and very creative! kudos!