Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Horses

I just finished with the brand inspector for the last 9 horses that will be leaving later this week. We will go from 21 down to 8. I have the heaviest heart watching this happen, I know how attached we get to animals and people. It's difficult to watch the natural flow of things and understand that we are given certain things and experiences to learn and grow from. We are all just stewards in this world, we are watching over God's creations, we don't actually own them. I just hope that in the end I have been a good steward over all the things I have been blessed with. I have learned so much from taking care of the horses from knowing how to doctor them, wrap their wounds and give them shots, to birthing, imprinting and teaching (or learning).

I spent a week up in Parachute, CO a few years back at a horse camp run by John Lyons. It was just me and my horse Sizzle every day for 5 days straight, working together and learning together. What I learned there is that the same principles are applied to training a horse that you would apply to training kids or grown ups, consistency is the key. I learned that horses learn every thing on the left side of their body and then you have to start over and teach them the exact same thing on the right side. It is patience, persistence and follow through. What a concept, right? At the end of each day after 8 hours in the saddle, the horse got cleaned watered and fed, before I could rest. I have never been so tired, dirty, SORE and happy as I was at the camp.

The first time I saw a baby horse born, I knew I had witnessed probably the most spiritual thing in my life. I have observed or assisted an many births since then and it still has that spiritual component that knocks me back and leaves me in awe watching the miracle of it. From the first push to the nickers and whinnies to the poking around trying to find where to suckle, it is amazing. And the first time mom and baby are turned out for their maiden run it is breathtakingly incredible. I am so blessed to have been graced with having horses in my world. Thank goodness for such beautiful and glorious creatures!

2 comments:

Carole said...

Ann, I am so touched by your depth of understanding. I am happy for you and sad for you. Your horses have been your babies, I know you have done an awesome job in taking care of them. I have seen you out in the snow and cold lugging hay around to each horse in each pen, I have seen you do the same in the blazing heat of summer. I have never heard you complain nor be mean to any of them. I could tell that you loved them. The dogs have always been there to watch over you and the horses as you so tenderly cared for them. all of them. Many Many times without any help. I so admire you, your strength and courage, I wish we could be closer. I love you with all my heart forever and always.

Karen M. said...

I don't know anyone that has been more of a steward of what they have. You have laughed at them, cried for them, got injured from them, recieved nudges, nips, and stomps from them...all in the name of love. I know this is a hard time but like you said it is the cycle of life...just like when our kids leave home and venture out on their own. You are the greatest!