Thursday, April 2, 2009

Today is a better day

Today is better, although one of the things that was really getting to me yesterday was that my sister-in-law, Jill, after just kicking the crap out of breast cancer, discovered that she now has thyroid cancer. She is having surgery today to remove what is left of her thyroid glands. I decided to do some research and what I found is both great news in that thyroid cancer is the most curable kind of cancer and it does not require chemo. It basically requires a dose of radioactive iodine that is absorbed by the thyroid cells. The radiation destroys the cancer. It's not supposed to have side affects, but tell that to someone who is working to recover, both their health and their livelihood.

The kick in the butt is that a lot of thyroid cancer is caused by exposure to radiation in the first place, enter in the infamous Down Winder effects that have been taking it's toll on folks in southern Utah for awhile now. It makes me so angry and worried because all of my family is at risk as well as my friends and the people I grew up with. It's a really scary thing and seeing cancer up close and personal this year has really had an impact on me.

There are a lot of fund raising opportunities for the fight against cancer this Spring. I'm working to make a contribution on a number of fronts and I hope that anyone reading this blog will do the same. One thing I learned from my friend, Susan, is to get involved now, do what you can now, have a cause now. A shout out to Ross who will be doing the Relay For Life in support of his mom, I think that is a great thing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out. I won't be able to do it by myself. My sister Tricia is spear heading the drive, and my sister-in-law Sammi is the brains behind the fun t-shirt ideas that you are sharing in this post. :)

Thanks for your support.

Ross